Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Pizza again? Get used to it

It's nearly been two "official" weeks of b-school and I don't think I've ever eaten so much pizza this same stretch of time. The thought of pizza is starting to scare me away from lunchtime club meetings or company information sessions! This is just one of a few observations I've noticed from my short time starting my MBA program.

The intimate MBA experience, the close-knit community feel has some unintended effects: namely, it is very conducive to the spreading of disease. Once one or two people in the class are sick (and couple the constant stream of pizza to lunch or corporate events), you can bet the whole section or entire class will be hacking the same cough.

Think back to elementary school when the teacher asked a question and there'd be the people in class who'd do one of those "Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! Pick me!" It's back -- only this time, instead of seeing one or two hands, you'd think someone was giving away money for free. With class participation factoring in grades for some classes, there are undoubtedly those who feel compelled to participate for that reason, but there are also those who really enjoy explaining why the lecture discussion is "totally like when I used to do [Job X]..." While it's interesting to hear about other people's experiences, it's no longer interesting after hearing it time and again.

I guess I still have some acclimating to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home